Baby’s Bounty Supports Safe Sleep Practices
Southern Nevada Health District to our Safe Sleep Information
The ABC’s of Safe Sleep:
A: babies should sleep ALONE
B: babies should sleep on their BACKS
C: babies should sleep in a CRIB
Back sleeping is not the sole solution: risks include bed sharing, getting wedged in couch cushions or smothered by quilts and pillows.
- Use a firm mattress covered with a fitted sheet.
- Babies are most at risk during the first four months.
- A newborn’s neck muscles are not fully developed and make it difficult to get out of a bad situation, like being put to sleep on their tummy.
- Babies who sleep on their tummy are at a 20 to 40 times higher risk of accidental death.
- More than half of the suffocation deaths for children under age 1 are due to an unsafe sleep environment.
- Since 1994 when the “Back To Sleep” campaign launched, these types of accidents have been reduced by 50%.
- There is no choking risk when sleeping on the back; chance of choking doubles when baby is placed on their side or tummy. “Tummy Time” is play time with adult supervision when baby is fully awake.
- Room sharing is good – bed sharing is dangerous.
- Keep baby’s room smoke free and do not over heat.
- Dress baby in a sleep sack or swaddle.
- Refrain from using car seats, strollers or swings for routine sleep.
- Tell everyone who cares for your baby (grandparents, daycare, babysitters) how you put your baby to sleep, including nap time.
Even though many cultures have been bed sharing for all time, we cannot discount the many thousands of babies who have died.
Any baby in need can receive a Pack N’ Play through the referral process (see NEED ASSISTANCE).
Baby’s Bounty is a founding member of the national COALITION AGAINST UNSAFE SLEEP ENVIRONMENTS (CAUSE) in partnership with the private, non-profit, consumer and government sectors working on the issue of infant safe sleep.
Dozens of babies in our community, and thousands across the country, are dying or being injured because of an unsafe sleep environment, such as a drawer or laundry basket, or sleeping with parents, siblings and pets. We provide families with safe sleep education with each portable crib and work with over 100 agencies and medical providers to promote safe sleep practices through our program “Good Night, Sleep Right”. Our collaboration with Cribs for Kids allows us to provide top quality Graco Pack n’ Plays to families in need.
Contact us at 702-485-2229 for more information.